Pseudonym: Jones, Bill
Furthermore, Artime cited two persons who received calls as being AMYUM-19 (Cesar Baro Esteva) and the wife of Manolin Hernandez. In addition to smuggling, A-19 was also asked if the reason he broke with Artime was because of the marriages of AMJAVA-4 (Rafael Quintero) or Artime. The author of the memo, Richard B. Beal, WH/SA/SO/HH, stated that he asked Artime who he thought was responsible for the calls, and Artime replied that it was "maybe the Miami Herald." Artime said he had seen Al Burt (AMCARBON-1) on November 21, 1964, and the latter had been angry as Burt felt he had been promised a scoop over AMWORLD's activities in Central America.
11/23/64: Memorandum for the record from Richard B. Beal, WH/SA/SO/HH: Subject: Telephone Conversations Between AMBIDDY-1 and Dick. Date: 21 November 1964, 1600 hours: "1. At 1600 hours, 21 November 1964, I complied with AMBIDDY-1's (Manuel Artime Buesa) request relayed through the Security Office that he be called on FRanklin 3-1568 in Miami. 2. AMBIDDY-1 described reports reaching him of mysterious phone calls being received by various Cubans in Miami, mostly MRR personnel or wives of MRR members. These calls started during the morning of 21 November. The caller was a North American who spoke Spanish and gave his name as 'Bill Jones.' The caller sought in each case to solicit derogatory information about AMBIDDY-1, with particular emphasis on A-1's alleged participation in smuggling activities. The caller offered money (A-1 did not know how much) for derogatory information. 3. A-1 mentioned two persons who received calls: AMYUM-19 (Cesar Baro Esteva) and the wife of Manolin Hernandez. In addition to smuggling, A-19 was also asked if the reason he broke with A-1 was because of the marriages of AMJAVA-4 (Rafael Quintero) or A-1. A-19 denied these allegations to the caller. 4. A-1 said that the story spreading through Miami as a result of these calls is that the U.S. Government - and probably CIA specifically - was attempting to discredit A-1 as a basis for denouncing him. A-1 was obviously distressed by these speculations, and in reporting them he was in reality asking the question. I gave him my unequivocal assurance that the U.S. Government was not responsible for the calls. 5. I asked A-1 who he thought was responsible and he said 'maybe the Miami Herald.' A-1 said that he had seen Al Burt earlier in the day (Saturday, 21 November) and that Burt was angry because he felt that the recent TV coverage of the AMWORLD camps and activities in Central America was a scoop to which he was rightfully entitled because of a prior agreement with AMBIDDY-1." (CONTINUED BELOW).
"A-1 gave Burt (AMCARBON-1) his side of the stories being circulated about AMWORLD's contraband activities. A-1 felt that he made an impression. Burt was particularly interested in a denial of these charges which A-1 told Burt would be issued very soon by the President of Costa Rica (see following paragraph). A-1 said he thought that he may have mollified Burt somewhat by having the meeting and by promising him scoops in the future, but that Burt still holds a grudge against him...7. I told A-1 that we would look into his report on the mysterious phone calls and that we would let him know what we find out."