JFK Database Explorer
Welcome to the JFK Database Explorer! These pages allow you to explore the JFK Collection records which are identified by a Record Identification Form. Each of over 300,000 documents is uniquely identified by a 13-digit RIF number of the form XXX-XXXXX-XXXXX, and other form fields denote each document's title, page count, subjects, agency, and other such metadata.
Start your exploration of the JFK records:
Look up by Record Number: Find
View records in transparency plans - View metadata for the records in any of the 5 "transparency plans" of still partially-withheld records (some are actually already released in full). Note that hundreds of records, particularly NSA, Army/IRR, and JFK Library, are in the plans but have no metadata and thus are not included here.
Explore the documents released since 2017 - View metadata and the actual documents which the National Archives released since 2017.
Explore the withheld-in-full records which were planned for release in 2017 - See the 3,517 records which in 2016 the National Archives said were withheld in full but planned for release in 2017 (not all were actually released).
Use the links below to browse by any of the form fields. This Explorer lets you drill down:
Click the links below to explore JFK database by:
- Record Number - 13-digit unique record number assigned by NARA (XXX-XXXXX-XXXXX)
- Record Series - Groupings of documents into series
- Agency - Name of agency releasing the document
- Agency File No. - Original file number or name assigned to the document
- Originator - Organization or person who created the document
- From - Person or organization from whom the document was sent
- To - Person or organization to whom the document was sent
- Date - Date when the document was created
- Pages - Number of pages in the document
- Subjects - List of subjects discussed in the document, separated by semi-colons
- Document Type - Type of document (Letter, Report, etc.)
- Classification - Document's security classification
- Restrictions - Restriction codes identifying types of redactions applied to this document
- Current Status - Current release status (Open, Released with Deletions, Postponed in Full)
- Date of Last Review - Date when last reviewed for release or change in redaction
- Opening Criteria - Criteria to be applied to decision-making about release
- Comments - Comments attached to this document