00/00/66: Cable from Director to London, Pretoria, Kinshasa: WIQUIT: "1. HQs notes that name Alastair Wicks has not appeared in recent SECAROB-1 (probably Major Michael Hoare) reporting of WIQUIT/1 plotting. During summer plotting Wicks allegedly one of principals involved. Reference B, however, suggests that Wicks continues to be involved in WIQUIT plotting. Would appreciate Pretoria station debrief SECAROB/1 at next regular meeting on Wicks present whereabouts and activities. 2. HQs has also noted the absence any SMOTH (MI-6) reporting to WOFACT (CIA) on the machinations of WIQUIT/1 group. Believe it would be appropriate for London station take this up with SMOTH and solicit their assistance in monitoring activities and contacts of Peters, Wicks and possibly John Terrence Peet, subject DIRECTOR 36997 and 38456. 3. Would appreciate Kinshasa station pouch detailed debriefing report Peet trip and his contacts with WIQUIT/1 group. Would also appreciate Pretoria station pouch detailed report of SECAROB/1 recent trip."
07/15/66: Cable from Pretoria to Kinshasa (Info: Director, Brussels, Withheld): RYBAT WIQUIT: REF: DIRECTOR 19340*: "1. Wicks phoned Hoare 14 July from Salisbury with proposition Hoare to receive 22,000 pounds for six month contract, etc. Task would be coordination of military effort in Katanga against reaction by ANC. Rank full colonel. Hoare stalled awaiting arrival Mighell. 2. Wicks claimed he attempting postpone coup until 27 July to permit recruitment additional mercenaries so as eliminate necessity reliance on Peters. Wicks registered Kentucky Hotel Salisbury. Peters registered Park Lane Hotel. Peters participating (unintelligible) deliberations on ad hoc basis. 3. Hoare accepted ref guidance evening 14 July. Stated this confirmed his understanding ODYOKE (U.S. Government) position and he will not accept Wicks proposition...5. Hoare suggested Kinshasa inform Mobutu of plot...CS Comment: *Requests Station to express to Hoare deep appreciation for information on coup planning and forwards a number of reasons for ODYOKE (1) policy remaining in support of a unified and stable Congo for passage to Hoare."
07/26/66: Cable from Salisbury to Director (Info: Pretoria, Withheld, Brussels, London, Withheld): RYBAT WIQUIT: REF DIRECTOR 22356: "BRICK/1 learned 23 July Alistair Wicks left last week for two week visit London. Mission unknown. *Requested information on matters outside Congo, especially those in Rhodesia."
08/06/66: Cable from Pretoria to Director, Kinshasa (Info: Withheld): WIQUIT SECAROB: "1. SECAROB/1 (probably Major Michael Hoare) has received letter from Wicks dated 31 July return address 56 Montague Square London W1 saying Wicks has received word that Wicks remains on full salary and coup delayed for two or three months. SECAROB/1 should reply in general terms if he still interested. 2. SECAROB/1 notes he was interested listener to Wicks on 11 July. Did not take negative attitude (handwritten: bar Peters press conf). 3. SECAROB/1 requests guidance on content his reply to Wicks. Meanwhile is mailing Wicks letter to Pretoria. 4. Additional development, possibly pertinent to SECAROB/1 upcoming dealings with Wicks, SECAROB/1 on 5 August received from WIZARD/4 air ticket to London, promised when SECAROB/1 left Congo, and would like use it. This suggests SECAROB/1 meetings London with Wicks. 5. SECAROB/1 book turned down. Returned from publishers 5 August. 6. Advise."
08/10/66: Cable from London to Director, Kinshasa (Info: Pretoria, Withheld), Brussels: ZIBET WIQUIT SECAROB: "1. Have discussed Wicks presence London with SMOTH (MI-6) and requested them attempt cover his activities here on basis comments Ref C. Please note per Ref B SMOTH have belatedly confirmed his involvement from source in entirely different quarter. 2. SMESPY has acknowledged unofficially that SMOTH has had contact with Wicks in past and is now debating whether approach him on friendly basis stemming from previous contact or ask JAGUAR (MI-5) attempt cover him from distance. Meeting 11 August 1130 hours to discuss further and try help them decide. Would appreciate any further tidbits passable at that time."
08/11/66: Cable from London to Director, Kinshasa, Pretoria (Info: Withheld): Slugline ZIBET WIQUIT SECAROB SMOTH: REF DIRECTOR 26818: "1. At 11 August meeting, SMOTH (MI-6) confirmed they had had indirect contact with Wicks in past, but that he was unwitting source. Contact man presently unavailable, but they plan put him back in touch with Wicks about 17 August, in hope he can elicit information as to Wicks' future plans, etc. 2. Meanwhile SMOTH have asked Special Branch (directly, not through JAGUAR) to cover Wicks, but to date they have not located him...3. Without indicating any knowledge future planning reflected ref, we speculated aloud at possibility SECAROB/1 (probably Major Michael Hoare) might visit U.K. near future, since he continued be in correspondence with Wicks and was 'known interested find publisher for book.' Believe we will have no difficulty obtaining SMOTH support for WOFACT (CIA) contact with SECAROB/1 should he visit, but SMOTH will want to know as early as possible of his travel plans. This also applies to Peters, should we learn he to visit U.K. again. Believe we should now keep SMOTH fully and promptly informed on all British players in this game, not only for usual reasons but to ensure they put out maximum effort on covering them. 4. Will advise separately re emergency contact instructions for SECAROB/1."
08/11/66: Cable from London to Director, Kinshasa, Pretoria (Info: Withheld, Brussels): WIQUIT SECAROB: "Will comply Ref B which received after Ref A sent. *Re letters from Wicks and Wicks mentioned coup still on and asks SECAROB/1 (probably Major Michael Hoare) support."